If you take Vitamin D in excess amounts, it can cause toxicity and this is a very dangerous situation. Vitamin D overdose is a rare condition, which can cause serious health problems. Sun exposure is not the reason behind Vitamin D toxicity as our body is capable of regulating the Vitamin D obtained through sun. Similarly, Vitamin D toxicity is not caused by taking the vitamin through diet. Patients who have Vitamin D toxicity suffer from hypercalcemia, in which the blood has excess calcium. Due to this, the patient has nausea and vomiting.There are kidney problems and poor appetite. The patient becomes weak and suffers from frequent urination. There is high blood pressure, anorexia, polyuria, polydipsia, nervousness and itching. Excess vitamin D causes many kidney problems like high protein levels that are excreted in the urine. You can have Vitamin D toxicity if you take 50,000 IU Vitamin D daily for long time up to many months. The daily requirement of Vitamin D for adults is 600 IU.
People who suffer from Vitamin D overdose need to be monitored frequently to check the Vitamin D level. The doctor can prescribe diuretics for treating Vitamin D overdose. The patient should increase the salt intake. You should know the treatment methods of Vitamin D overdose. The main methods of Vitamin D overdose treatment are as follows.
Vitamin D Overdose Treatments
If the patient has severe hypercalcemia due to Vitamin D overdose, the doctor asks the patients to increase hydration. Drink at least four liters water daily. You should drink filtered water. Always keep a bottle of water with you when you go outside. Drink other fluids like lemonade and fruit juices. You can drink soup and milk. Eat foods that contain water such as watermelon, fruit smoothies and juice flavored water. Some patients are given intravenous saline. Proper hydration helps in eliminating toxins from the body. It decreases the risk of suffering from any disease.
Stop Excess Intake Of Vitamin D
The main mode of treatment of Vitamin D overdose is to stop taking excess amount of Vitamin D. If you are taking any Vitamin D supplements, it has to be stopped immediately. The patient should avoid exposure to sun. Take the right dose of Vitamin D as prescribed by the doctor.
Medicines And Dialysis
The treatment of Vitamin D overdose includes taking medicines like corticosteroids. Some patients are prescribed intravenous fluids. If you have Vitamin D toxicity due to taking too much of the vitamin, the doctor prescribes biphosphonates, which help in preventing calcium loss from bones. The medicine helps in preventing osteoporosis by stopping bone mass loss. The medicine decreases risk of fracture. If it is not possible to give huge quantity of fluids to the patient, the doctor prescribes the procedure of peritoneal or hemodialysis.
Prevent Excess Calcium
People who have Vitamin D toxicity due to taking excess Vitamin D should take steps to prevent accumulation of excess blood calcium. The patients are asked to take a diet that has low amount of calcium. Oral medicine is given to help in fecal calcium excretion. The doctor prescribes steroids for treating Vitamin D overdose. Another useful medicine for treating the symptoms of overdose is the antibiotic mithramycin. It is a useful medicine for treating Vitamin D overdose and the toxicity resulting from it.